Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A life without art is stupid.

Today I was happy to have the chance to meander throughout the Observatory area of the city. This is an old, quirky neighborhood with absolutely amazing restaurants and a bakery (Queen of Tarts) that is going to cause me to gain more weight than I'm comfortable with before I leave to go back to the States. Bottom line: go, explore the Obvs (the cool name for the area), eat a lot, drink a few beers (Honey Wheat.. yummmm), and enjoy the odd mix of locals and backpackers.

Prior to heading to a very late lunch in my new favorite, Bohemian suburb, I spent some time taking in the work of Irma Stern, a prolific South African painter whose work was (is, still) absolutely enchanting. Her paintings, sculptures, and collections are housed and displayed in what used to be her home. When she was alive, one could ring the front bell and someone would answer and let visitors around the house to see her work and all of the amazing statues (among other things!) that she had collected on her trips throughout Africa and Europe. I hate being that person who takes a million photos at an art gallery, even if I was only one of four visitors present at the time. So, instead, I pulled a few examples of her work from good ol' Google to display here.




Her work is largely of portraits, some of friends but many of strangers she found intriguing. What really drew me to Irma was not just that she had a keen sense of what made a person intriguing, but that she wasn't afraid to travel in order to find her subjects. Irma traveled throughout the continent, visiting the Congo and Zanzibar (located in Tanzania), and taking the time to paint landscapes and streetscapes, capturing people and moments in a kind, beautiful way. This space, quiet and calm, chock full of history and lovely pieces that were lovingly created by an earnest soul- it made me fall in love with the moment. It may sound a bit silly, but her work evokes a blissfulness in my heart that makes me want to create, too. I unfortunately cannot draw, paint, or sculpt, so I will have to settle for writing. 

Irma's work reminds me of Anna Hyatt Huntington's sculptures, in many ways. Both women have gone largely unrecognized, even though both were incredibly talented; both were seen as a tad bit eccentric, too. Anna and her husband built an amazing Moorish-style castle in Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina and then donated it, along with large swaths of land, to the state, all of which are now part of the Huntington State Park. The home is still standing and is, to me, incredibly gorgeous, even though it is unfurnished and stripped of any personal belongings. The most intriguing part of Anna's story is that, as a sculptor, she preferred to have live subjects as a reference. At her home (named Atalaya), she had a cage in which she kept a bear. Let me repeat that for you: She had a live bear. In a cage. At her house. But the results of her work perhaps justified the keeping of the bear. (Again, photo stolen from the Google.)


How amazing is that? 

Thursday is supposed to be a rainy, dreary day, meaning that I will most likely spend the day researching in my pajamas. Friday, though, will be Boulder Beach day- and that means that photos of the jackass penguins will be soon forthcoming!! (Someone should warn my friend Anahit... her heart might explode from happiness from the photos, as penguins are amongst her favorite things.) Until then, ta loveys! 


No comments:

Post a Comment